Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Update on Josie

I will give a quick update on Josie for those of you interested in more of the details. I have a lot swirling around in this little head of mine so I am sure more blog entries will be coming.

Josie had surgery today. We have known this was coming for quite some time, but I don't think anything could have prepared me for this. I will admit that right now I am feeling quite overwhelmed. I am wondering how I am going to handle things when she gets home. I remember these same kind of feelings after I had each of my kids and somehow things worked out just fine. On the other hand, I know myself that much better. I know my capabilities and I know my limits. I am better at asking for and accepting help. Josie, and the rest of our family, willl have to find a new normal for awhile. Josie is a trooper and a fighter. She will come through this beautifully.

Anyway, Josie, Jon, and I checked in here at 6:30am this morning. She went into surgery around 7:45am. She was done around 2:00pm. They tilted the balls in her hips toward the sockets. They were secured with plates and screws. They also released and stretched some of the muscles around her hip. They also had to cut some of the bone in that area as well. Her hamstring muscles were lengthened. Her inner thigh muscles were stretched. They did some other things as well. All together she has 8 incisions. She is in a body cast from her armpits to her toes. There is a hole cut out in her diaper area as well as her stomach. Her cast is hot pink with a purple bar. Her younger sister will be thrilled! The surgery was successful so that is a good thing!

She is in a lot of pain. She is a tough cookie and it is very hard to see her this way. She is in intensive care and will be there probably until sometime tomorrow. She will then be transfered to a regular room. I am not sure when she will get to go home.

To be honest, this is one of those times I question a lot of things. God has called Jon and I (and Mary, David, and Hannah) to care for this beautiful little girl. We want her time on this earth to be comfortable and we want to give her the best life she can have. I wonder sometimes if I can do it. I love her dearly, but sometimes it is just too much. I miss my other kids terribly. It is in these moments that I can feel the presence of God - in my weakness He takes over. I am sitting in a skyway at the hospital overlooking the Mississppi River. The sun is shining. There is a lot of snow. It is beautiful. I think to myself that God created this world and He created Josie. He loves her very much. He is using me to surround Josie with His love. He is using Josie to surroung me with His love. That is enough to get me through another day.

2 comments:

  1. I can only say that I feel your heartbeat - yes, I truly do. I am sympathetic in a way I never could have been before - we love them dearly - wouldn't trade them for the world (MOST DAYS!!! :) ) but it doesn't mean anything about it is easy or that some days we don't need "extra" from God. Hang in there. We will be praying for that long recovery.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Shelly - Abe Lincoln said "the best thing about the future is that it comes one day at a time." I have often reflected on this. Kevin reported when he got home that the trampoline is hopping! (I don't know if that is helpful or not) I hope that you will be able to rest tonight and Josie will find peace to sleep as well - Congratulations on making it through today! Your family is in our prayers -and we are ready to help!

    Joy

    ReplyDelete